Thursday, February 6, 2014

Bula from Nadi!

I made it! I've only been in Fiji for 2 days now, but each day has felt like at least three. Where to start....

I met Taylor at LAX because we were on the same flight together. It was good to have somebody in the same boat as me and to not have to travel alone. The flight was 11 hours, but we slept through most of it. We touched down in Nadi around 4 am (keep in mind I'm 18 hours ahead here), but by the time we got through customs, baggage claim, etc, we got to the hostel around 6. We met up with Sami, who arrived a day before us, as well as a girl from Quebec that Sami had met on the plane. We mostly spent the day on the beach hanging around in hammocks and getting to know each other.

At one point, some guy came around riding bareback on a horse and leading another. I went up to him and asked if I could have a ride. He tried to charge me for an hour long ride with the proper tack and a saddle (turns out he has a "business doing this), but after some sweet talking and bargaining he let me and Taylor take them for a bareback ride down the beach for $5 (in American money that's less than $3). I finally got to ride a horse in the ocean! I'd always wanted to do that and I got to after less than 12 hours in the country, so I consider that a good start to the trip. Later on in the day, Sami and I rented out the kayaks that the hotel had. There were two kayaks and they were free to take out, but I guess you get what you [don't] pay for because there was only one paddle. The boats were only meant for one person, but we decided to give it a try with both of us anyway. It was a colossal failure, because they really were only meant for ONE person, but we had so much fun trying anyway. Falling out of a boat multiple times and sitting on each other's laps to try to make it work is certainly one way to bond with another person.

Yesterday was even more amazing. The rest of the group (there's 11 of us total) came in early like we did, and we met up with them and Kyle, the on-site coordinator, at 5:30 am. It's funny to think I just met these people only yesterday morning; I already consider these awesome people to be my friends.
Anyway, after we met up, we dropped our bags off in the rented apartment we're staying in, then went over to Kyle's house to meet his family and eat breakfast. Kyle only lives 2 blocks from where we're staying, and he and his wife are some of the nicest people I've met. Plus they have 3 adorable little kids that I immediately fell in love with. Seriously, I want to take them home with me. Anywho, breakfast was incredible and there was so. much. food. Fruit here is abundant and delicious, and I could definitely get used to eating it every morning. This was the first time we all got to sit down and talk and get to know each other too. Because none of us really knew what was in store for the next 10 days before we get to USP, I tried asking Kyle what we were doing. The only response I could get was "adventure", and though it was frustrating, he certainly wasn't lying. The first thing we did was go into the city to exchange money and buy our local cell phones and sulus, which is like a big wrap skirt or dress (they're only about $4 in U.S. money and they're so light and comfy; I definitely found my new wardrobe for the next 5 months). On that note, my phone is a prepaid deal and I am able to call the U.S. for only 20 cents a minute, which for some reason is cheaper than making local calls. Go figure. Also, I can send texts for 25 cents each, so I'll be sending texts somewhat sparingly, but I can receive them free! (hint, hint)

Before we left the city, we got lunch at this tiny little open-aired Indian restaurant where we got various curried meats and some other foods I'd never heard of. Everything was delicious, except for the pickled starfruit. I was brave and tried it, but it was weird. I also learned that you have to be careful eating the meat here, because it's fresh to the point that there are still bones stuck in here and there.

After our city visit, we got to find out what our surprise adventure of the day was. WE WENT ZIPLINING. It was so cool! We went on the mountains nicknamed the Sleeping Giant, because that's what it looks like from a distance. I can't even describe how beautiful it was. Once we finished the zipline, all of us were dripping in sweat, so we jumped in the river. Literally, too, because there was a big rock to jump off of into a deep pool in the river. There was also a natural 'waterslide' in the rocks that went into another deep pool. Again, I can't even begin to convey how beautiful it all was. It was a perfect day all around.

We had an hour long break after that, then it was off to a Chinese restaurant in town. Again, I wasn't sure what everything was, but it was all so good and I left just stuffed. After dinner, most of us caught our second wind and spent the rest of the evening playing cards and just talking and hanging out with each other. It's amazing how close we all have gotten already. I can't remember laughing so much in one day.

Today's a new adventure. I don't know what it is yet (again), but after yesterday, I trust that Kyle has something good up his sleeve. I've got plenty of pictures of our adventures yesterday and the day before, but no camera cord at the moment, so those will come later.

Peace and love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment